The Beauty of Friendship

Friendship has been on my mind quite a bit lately. It's difficult for me when a friendship goes south, and it's usually quite a long process. I don't give up on people. I'm a hard friend to lose. But, as that has been a journey I've had to travel lately, it's made me think about the friends who remain in my life.

And, I am overwhelmed.

My friends are amazing. In the last 10 years, I've shifted in my ideas of friendship. Once upon a time, it was important to me that everyone like me and that I have a ton of friends. I wore myself out trying to keep up with it all and with trying to make sure I only showed the "pretty" parts of myself. It was exhausting. I had to make a change. I knew alot of people, but few people really knew me.

It's been a crazy journey. The Lord had to break through some really tough walls in my heart and show me that it's ok to be imperfect and for others to see that. As I stop and take stock of where I am on this journey, I am so grateful that the Lord disciplines those He loves and shaved those rough edges off of my heart.

Yesterday, I was shown love in action in a way that I never expected. I'd had a really stressful and emotional week. I have a tendency to push those things aside and focus on whatever task is at hand. But, by Saturday morning, it had all caught up with me. I was on the verge of a breakdown. All it took was one final blow and I was in need of escape. I called one of my closest friends just to vent so I wouldn't explode on the people around me. She patiently listened to my rant and never judged me for the emotional outburst. After talking to her, I went back to work with a little more room for patience.

The next thing I know, she shows up, Starbucks in hand, ready to work. She had rounded up the help I needed and went to humorous lengths to do so. She came just to be there with me and help in whatever way she could. She had more than enough on her own plate that needed tending, but she set that aside to come to my rescue. I was overwhelmed. I'm so blessed to have someone who would step outside of herself, in ways I can't express here, to step up for me. It actually brought me to tears.

I have amazing friends. This is just one story of how they have shown the love of Jesus to me through their actions.

I have treasured mentors who love me like a daughter.

I have people who go before the Lord on my behalf and fight for His will in my life, His protection, His wisdom.

I have family who would fight to the death for me, even in a moment when things aren't harmonious between us.

I have friends who have known me since I was a child, who I may talk to rarely, but who love me and can reconnect at a moment's notice.

I have people who aren't afraid to speak the Truth in love, correct me when necessary, and help me dig into the Word of God.

I have seen the love of Jesus walked out in the lives of my friends. It's amazing. I don't know if I'll ever be able to deserve or repay it. Right now, I'm just overwhelmed by it. Thank you to you all. You are loved and appreciated beyond words.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Please help...I need your input

Our Perfect Day

Forgiveness