System Restore Point

Do you ever have one of those days, one of those moments, that you'd just like to take back? How many times have you wanted to return to the moment just before you made that choice, spread that gossip, ended that relationship, or crossed that line?

I've read a couple of books this week that have started my thoughts in that direction. I've started to think about and visualize that moment just before our lives change; that moment we completely take for granted. When we look back, we see it as the place we'd return to if there were any way possible. That fork in the road where things somehow got off track.

As I was logging into my computer this morning, I reached my maximum level of frustration with its performance and decided today is the day I spend time working to make it work properly. As I started the process of clean up and recovery, I came across the option to set a system restore point.

Wouldn't that be nice?

What would it be like if we could stop, in a good moment, and hit the save button? What if we knew, no matter what choice we were about to make, we could return to that safe place in time?

I don't know if I would want that option. My mistakes have made me who I am just as much as my good choices have. We learn (hopefully) when things go wrong and make better choices the next time.

And, although we can't have a clean reset like a machine, there are ways to get back to that restore point in human relationships as well.

What choice did you make that took you down an unfavorable path? Is there a way to get back?

Did you spread gossip? Make it right. Confess it, repair the relationships, and try not to do it again.

Did you end a relationship? Was that the right choice or do you wish it could be restored? Be brave. Make it right. Ask for forgiveness. Give forgiveness. Move forward.

Did you cross a line that you shouldn't have? Apologize. Deal with the damage. Make restititution. Make it right.

Make it right. It's possible. We can't get back to a clean restore point, necessarily, but I'm learning that if we just do the right thing, sometimes we end up in a much better place than we ever imagined. Sometimes a repaired relationship is stronger and more honest than the original one was.

What are those things in your life? Where would you set your restore point if you could go back and do it again? What's stopping you from making it right?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Please help...I need your input

Our Perfect Day

Forgiveness