An Open Letter to My Generation ... and the next

This morning, during the music portion of our worship service, the Lord highlighted in my heart a young man in our congregation. We were singing the song “Hosanna” from the new Passion project. There’s a line in that song that says, “I see a generation rising up to take their place with selfless faith”. In that moment, I had a glimpse of the new generation in our church…in the church at large.

If I could speak to my generation and the ones that follow, this is what I would say:
God is doing something new. He is raising up among you leaders to take His name to the nations and to those around you. There is revival ahead if we choose Him. It’s not always the easy choice, but it is always the best and right choice. In choosing Christ, at times you will also be choosing loneliness or pain. That’s ok. We are here but for a moment. The things of this world are passing like the blade of grass that is here today and gone tomorrow. What’s important…what lasts forever…is what we do for the Kingdom of God.

If I could teach a loved one anything, it would be that there is nothing, nothing at all, that is worth putting distance between them and the Lord. The pleasures of this world are only temporary and usually are sweet in the mouth and bitter in the stomach. So many things we choose because of their worldly value only leave us in greater pain and disappointment. They never fulfill us as we believe they will. It is always better to choose obedience to Christ than to choose anything else. This world has nothing for us. Obedience to Christ is everything and in the end is all that matters.

There is another portion of that song that makes my heart race in agreement. I pray that these words become the heartbeat of my generation and the next:

“Heal my heart and make it clean. Open up my eyes to the things unseen. Show me how to love like You have loved me. Break my heart for what breaks Yours. Everything I am for Your kingdom’s cause as I walk from earth into eternity”.

Break our hearts, Lord, for what is breaking Yours. Let us step outside of ourselves and our selfish ambition and be part of what You are stirring up around the world. Raise up within this generation leaders who will choose to chase after You with selfless faith. I pray that I would choose to give all I have and all I am for Your kingdom’s cause. Nothing else matters. No earthly pleasure is worth choosing over the things of the Lord.

I pray for those of you who are chasing after the things of the Lord that you would not grow weary in the race. Sometimes it seems as though that living for the Lord is bringing only pain. To you I would say, keep running. “There’s a light that is coming for the heart that holds on”. I know it’s hard to keep choosing Christ when it seems to bring only loneliness and pain. But, we are only here for a moment. This life is but a blink of the eye in comparison to eternity. Keep running the race that was set before you. The lives of those around you, our nation, and the world will be different because you’ve chosen to live by faith and reflect the love of Jesus. I can’t wait to see what God does with those of us who are surrendered to His call and willing to carry His name to those who do not know Him.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Please help...I need your input

Our Perfect Day

Forgiveness