Something Manly

I'm currently reading the book "Wild at Heart" by John Eldredge. It's a book that talks specifically about how men were created to reflect the glory of God and teach us about His character. It's been an interesting journey into the wild heart of man.

Eldredge states that there are three deep seated desires in the heart of a man. He must have a battle to fight, and adventure to live and a beauty to rescue. It's been interesting to dig into those three things and see what God has called man to be. I am also reading this book's counterpart for women, called "Captivating", by John and his wife Stasi Eldredge. In "Captivating" the couple states that the deep seated desires of a woman's heart are to be romanced, to play an irreplaceable role in a great adventure, and to have a beauty to unveil. Reading these books together has been a beautiful journey into how we are created in unique, yet complimentary ways, to display the face of God to the world.

In "Captivating", the authors talk about the wounds that women can receive from men who do not use their strength appropriately. Sometimes strength is used aggressively and a woman is wounded by a man who physically or verbally abuses her. But, sometimes, the strength is passive and not used to stand up for or fight for the woman. Sometimes she is ignored, or not defended, or not seen. When there isn't balance to strength, it wounds.

A few weeks ago, I was given a beautiful display of strength used appropriately. We have a project, a remodel, that has become overwhelming. It had become a drain on the financial and emotional resources of my family. It needed to be tackled, but we did not have the strength.

And so, the men showed up.

My Dad's father, his brothers, my brother, and men from my church all came together, pooling their strength and resources, and made a huge dent in the project. They came through for me and my family. It was a truly beautiful thing to watch. I am blessed to have such men in my life.

Sometimes, that is what we need to see of the character of God. He shows up for us. He comes through for us. He uses His strength for our good. He doesn't sit by and watch as we sink, nor does He yell at us to try harder. No. "The Lord your God is with you, the Mighty Warrior who saves. He will take great delight in you; in His love He will no longer rebuke you, but will rejoice over you with singing" (Zephaniah 3:17)!

I am so grateful to the men who showed up that day to show me how strength comes through. Each of you reflected the glory of God that day and my heart is forever grateful!

Many thanks to:

Bob Solly (Grandpa)
Robert Solly (Uncle)
Tom LaSalle (Uncle)
Deno Trentman (Uncle)
Dan Solly (Dad)
Daniel Solly (Brother)

And the men of Word of Life Free Methodist Church
Kevin Bowers
Bob Britton
Tom Gridley
Michael McBrayer
Jeff Minor
Greg Nitchman

I pray that the Lord gives back a double portion of what you give out as you use your strength to show the rest of us who He is. It means so much to have someone show up and come through. I'm more grateful than I have words to express!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Please help...I need your input

Our Perfect Day

Don't Kill the Baby