Something Scary

Last weekend I did something I honestly never dreamed I'd do. I can honestly say the thought never once crossed my mind that I would ever try something quite so frightening. But, I did it.

I took my turn on the flying trapeze.

It's ok if you need to stop and read that sentence again. I'll wait.

For those of you who know me well, you have probably discovered that I have an intense fear of heights. I abhor ladders. And, if you're asking me to walk across something I can see through, you may as well ask me to land on the moon. Did you know that trapeze class incorporates ALL 3 of those things? I bet you didn't.

But, you see, I have this friend who always comes up with crazy ideas and loves to push me outside of my comfort zone. And, she thought trapeze class sounded like fun.

Unbeknownst to this friend, I've recently made a little promise to myself not to let fear stop me from trying new things. I want more adventure in my life and I'm tired of being paralyzed by the "what ifs". Enter Amy...and trapeze class.

When we arrived at the facility, the advanced class was in progress. Watching those young folks "fly through the air with the greatest of ease" did nothing to quell my fears. I watched them scurry up the shaky ladder and blithely flip off the edge of the net. None of that seemed like fun to me. Not even a little.

But, I did it.

I couldn't feel my legs for about an hour afterwards because of all of the adrenaline and emotion running through my veins, but I am so proud of myself! I couldn't believe I was able to actually climb the ladder, jump off the platform, swing on the trapeze and flip off the net.

This may seem like a small thing to you, but to me it was enormous. So, thank you, Amy for pushing me to do something I never thought I'd do. Thanks for taking the plunge with me. I'm hoping this year is full of adventure as I learn to let go of my fear and step out in faith.

Here's a little video of my trapeze adventure for those who may be interested:

Comments

Madame de Plume said…
I'm so proud of you!

Popular posts from this blog

Please help...I need your input

Our Perfect Day

Forgiveness