Laughter really is the best medicine

I had a conversation this morning with a friend who knows me well. In fact, this friend is one of those precious few with whom I can immediately reconnect no matter the time or distance between us. And, sometimes he knows me better than I'd like.

With friends like these, it's hard to hide. It's nearly impossible to pretend you're having a good day when you really aren't. This was the case for me today. I wasn't having the brightest of mornings and this friend could hear it in my voice.

God was sending me a blessing, and I didn't even know it.

I needed some great laughter today, and that's exactly what I got from my friend. He doesn't even have to try, he just lifts my spirits. There's something to shared experience, authenticity in relationship, and a sense of humor between two people that can just make all of the difference.

So, in honor of my friend and his ability to brighten my day when I needed it most, I'd like to share some of these quotes about laughter (I hope they bring a smile to your face):

I am thankful for laughter, except when milk comes out of my nose. ~Woody Allen

Mirth is God's medicine. Everybody ought to bathe in it. ~Henry Ward Beecher

The most wasted of all days is one without laughter. ~e.e. cummings

When people are laughing, they're generally not killing each other. ~Alan Alda

Laughter and tears are both responses to frustration and exhaustion. I myself prefer to laugh, since there is less cleaning up to do afterward. ~Kurt Vonnegut

I've always thought that a big laugh is a really loud noise from the soul saying, "Ain't that the truth." ~Quincy Jones

You can't deny laughter; when it comes, it plops down in your favorite chair and stays as long as it wants. ~Stephen King, Hearts in Atlantis

[L]aughter on one's lips is a sign that the person down deep has a pretty good grasp of life. ~Hugh Sidey

Humor is a reminder that no matter how high the throne one sits on, one sits on one's bottom. ~Taki

Humor results when society says you can't scratch certain things in public, but they itch in public. ~Tom Walsh

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Please help...I need your input

Our Perfect Day

Forgiveness