The Beauty of a Bride

As a vocalist, I've been involved in more than my fair share of weddings. I've also had the honor of attending a number of them as a guest. And, tomorrow, I will be helping photograph one for the first time. So, as wedding season approaches and I prepare by learning new music, practicing the piano, and brushing up on my photographic skills, I've had the opportunity to think a lot about brides.

I love wedding ceremonies. I think they are beautiful. When I've had the honor of singing for a bride and groom whom I love deeply, I fight hard to remain professional and not burst into tears in the middle of a song. I love the beautiful dresses and the fragrant flowers. I love getting to be part of a day that means so much in the lives of two people.

But, what I love most about weddings is that they represent the relationship between Christ and His Bride, the Church. It's an earthly picture of that moment that awaits us when we are finally face to face with our Beloved. It's a glimpse of what it will be like to stand before our Savior, clothed in white, washed clean and brilliant from our sins, and be made complete in Him. It gives me chills to think of that day.

I've been searching the scriptures about this relationship between Christ and the Church lately. And, I've been searching them specifically for correlations between the husband and wife relationship. The more I read God's Word about how that relationship should be, the more beautiful it becomes to me.

Do you know what my favorite part of a wedding ceremony is? It's that one moment when the groom catches the first glimpse of his bride. I love to watch the expression on his face as he sees her coming toward him down the aisle. In that moment, she is as we will one day be when presented to the Bridegroom. She is clothed in white, radiant in beauty, fully in love, and preparing to join her life forever with her beloved. It's priceless.

I do hope the Lord gives me a husband while I am here on earth, but as I walk more with Him, my longing for Heaven grows stronger. I long for the day when I will stand before the Lord, part of His Church, and be welcomed as His Bride. In that day, I want to hear "Well done, good and faithful servant." Whether I get to be a bride here, I know that I am a bride who is waiting for the return of her Bridegroom and preparing for his arrival.

And, so that is why I love weddings; why they fill me with joy. The beauty of a bride is reflected in the love of her bridegroom and it's clear for all to see. It's a glimpse of what awaits, and it's beautiful.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Please help...I need your input

Our Perfect Day

Forgiveness