31 Days of Wisdom: Proverbs 18

Please visit the link below if you would like to read through Proverbs 18 before continuing.

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Proverbs%2018&version=NIV

Disclaimer: This is a personal journey of discovery for me. I am not claiming any special wisdom or exposition of my own, only sharing how 31 days of wisdom affect me and stir my spirit. I highly suggest, no matter who is speaking or sharing, that you check their words against the words of Scripture.

Proverbs 18

“An unfriendly person pursues selfish ends and against all sound judgment starts quarrels.” (v1)

Fools aren’t concerned with understanding anything, they are only concerned with getting their opinions and points across. (v2)

The wicked are held in contempt and a reproach brings shame. (v3)

People who are wise are like deep waters and wisdom pours into and out of them like a fountain. (v4)

It’s not good to take sides with the wicked and take part in harming the innocent. (v5)

“The lips of fools bring them strife, and their mouths invite a beating. The mouths of fools are their undoing, and their lips are a snare to their very lives.” (v6-7)
“The words of a gossip are like choice morsels; they go down to the inmost parts.” Gossip looks and tastes good, but it gets inside of you and corrupts you. (v8)
“One who is slack in his work is brother to one who destroys.” A slacker is related to destruction, they are in the same family. (v9)

The name of the Lord is safety for the righteous. (v10)

Wealth gives a false sense of security. (v11)

“Before a downfall the heart is haughty, but humility comes before honor”. Not only does pride go before a fall, but a humble heart comes before a person is praised. (v12)

Always listen before you give an answer. Always let them get the whole thing out before you jump in to give a response. (v13)

The spirit is stronger than the body; we can bear a weak body, but not a crushed spirit. (v14)

Those who are discerning want and get knowledge and seek it out. (v15)

“A gift opens the way and ushers the giver into the presence of the great.”(v16)

We always tend to take the sides of the person who speaks first until someone questions them. (v17)

“Casting the lot settles disputes and keeps strong opponents apart.” (v18)

“A brother wronged is more unyielding than a fortified city; disputes are like the barred gates of a citadel.” (v19)

We reap what we sow. (v20)

“The tongue has the power of life and death, and those who love it will eat its fruit.” (v21)

“He who finds a wife finds what is good and receives favor from the Lord.”(v22)

“The poor plead for mercy, but the rich answer harshly.” Compassion and wealth don’t necessarily go together. (v23)

“One who had unreliable friends comes to ruin, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother.” (v24)

Dear Father of Wisdom,
Remind me to be humble when I start to become proud. Help me keep a hold on my tongue. I want to be wise. I want to be reliable. I want to be a joy to my parents, my friends, my family. Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Please help...I need your input

Our Perfect Day

Forgiveness