31 Days of Wisdom: Proverbs 5

Please visit the link below if you would like to read through Proverbs 1 before continuing.

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Proverbs%205&version=NIV

Disclaimer: This is a personal journey of discovery for me. I am not claiming any special wisdom or exposition of my own, only sharing how 31 days of wisdom affect me and stir my spirit. I highly suggest, no matter who is speaking or sharing, that you check their words against the words of Scripture.

Proverbs 5

Warning against adultery.

This passage is specifically about the sin of adultery and the temptations of the adulterous woman. But, I think that the truths stated here can be applied to all sin.

Solomon constantly admonishes that we pay attention and listen. (5:1,7) When things are repeated, it means they are important and not to be missed. It’s important that we pay attention and listen if we actually want to get wisdom.
Sin tastes sweet and looks smooth, it’s desirable. But, that is not sin’s true nature. In the end, it is nothing but bitterness and death.
The one who is trapped in sin doesn’t even know that his or her life is on a dead end path. Sin obscures our senses. It disorients us. The deeper we get into sin, the further down the road to destruction, the less we are likely to hear the voice of wisdom.

Don’t even go near the house of sin. Someone may see you standing outside and assume that you have taken part in the inside activities. You could lose everything you have, your reputation, your wealth, your family, all because you were too close to sin. It doesn’t matter if you didn’t sin, people who are evil can use your proximity to sin against you.

My dad always used to tell us, “Not only do you have to be right, you have to look right”. Wisdom says the same thing.

Get wisdom and understanding. If you don’t you will regret it at the end of your life.

Drink only from what is yours. Love and pursue only the spouse of your youth, the one who belongs to you. If he/she is your only, he/she will always captivate and entice you. It’s senseless to pursue another man’s wife or a wayward woman.

The Lord sees everything. You can not hide from His watchful eyes. The wicked are caught by their sins and it leads them to death.

Dear Father of Wisdom,
Help me be satisfied with what is mine. Help me to keep my eyes on You so that I am not distracted by what others have or what I think I need. Lord, may I never be tempted to walk the paths of the wicked, but if I stray, Lord, I pray that I will respond quickly to Your swift discipline. I want wisdom. I want understanding. I want the road that leads to life. Help me. Amen

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Please help...I need your input

Our Perfect Day

Forgiveness