31 Days of Wisdom - Proverbs 7

Please visit the link below if you would like to read through Proverbs 7 before continuing.

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Proverbs%207&version=NIV

Disclaimer: This is a personal journey of discovery for me. I am not claiming any special wisdom or exposition of my own, only sharing how 31 days of wisdom affect me and stir my spirit. I highly suggest, no matter who is speaking or sharing, that you check their words against the words of Scripture.

Proverbs 7

Warning against the Adulterous woman

Solomon warns about this over and over again. I believe he is specifically warning against the lure and temptation of adultery, but I think the principles can also be applied to every other sin.

Solomon repeats himself a good bit. In wisdom literature, when something is repeated, it’s because the writer is trying to drive home the point. Repeatedly, Solomon tells us to pay attention, to store up the commandments in our hearts, meditate on the words of wisdom and love wisdom. (v.1-4). Meditate on the words of wisdom; keep them in your heart. Write them on your forehead if you have to. Wisdom and insight will guard you as though they are part of your family, a protective sibling will guard your heart. (v5)

Solomon writes a narrative about the adulterous woman. The young man (with no sense) heads towards her house at twilight, when he should have been heading home (v6-9). The prostitute approached him with evil intent (v10). She was aggressive as she approached him and he didn’t run from her (v11-13). She enticed him, made the sin look sweet; made it look like love (v14-18). She told him the coast was clear, her husband was gone and wouldn’t be back. She seduced him by her words, her manner, her craftiness (v19-21). The imagery of what his choice will cost him is clear: “All at once he followed her like an ox going to the slaughter, like a deer stepping into a noose till an arrow pierces his liver, like a bird darting into a snare, little knowing it will cost him his life”(v22-23).

Solomon repeats: Listen to me. Pay attention. Don’t even look her way. Her way is death. (v24-27).

All sin is like this woman. It is aggressive and goes after the children of God, especially those who have no sense. Sin entices and seduces us, offers us a counterfeit that seems so close to the real thing. But, the consequence is death and destruction. It turns to dust in our mouths. Listen to the words of wisdom and run, run away.

Dear Father of Wisdom,
Help me keep my feet on the path that is straight and narrow, not even approaching the house of sin. When I encounter temptation, let me see the way out and have the courage to run so that my life may be saved. Amen

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Please help...I need your input

Our Perfect Day

Forgiveness