31 Days of Wisdom: Proverbs 4

31 Days of Wisdom: Proverbs 4

Please visit the link below if you would like to read through Proverbs 4 before continuing.

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Proverbs%204&version=NIV

Disclaimer: This is a personal journey of discovery for me. I am not claiming any special wisdom or exposition of my own, only sharing how 31 days of wisdom affect me and stir my spirit. I highly suggest, no matter who is speaking or sharing, that you check their words against the words of Scripture.


Proverbs 4

Get Wisdom at Any Cost.


“The beginning of wisdom is this: get wisdom. Though it cost all you have, get understanding.”(4:7)

That seems to be the strongest theme in this chapter. Get wisdom. Nothing is more important. Get understanding. It’s more valuable than anything.
The father makes the case for the son to listen to his words. The father can be trusted.

“I give you sound learning, so do not forsake my teaching. For I too was a son to my father, still tender, and cherished by my mother” (4:3-4). The father is trying to tell the son, “I’ve been there. I’ve walked in your shoes. I was a kid once too. I know what I’m talking about, please listen to me so I can save you some heart ache”. How often have I heard those words from someone’s mouth?
There is an important lesson to be learned here. Value the wisdom that comes with someone else’s experience. I don’t have to walk every path to find the right one. There are paths that have been walked by those before me that I know I can avoid. If someone is willing to share the wisdom gained by their experience, I should sit at their feet and drink it in. So many times in this chapter, the father says, “Listen” and “Pay Attention”.

Wisdom is attainable. The father tells us to “Get Wisdom”, almost as if it were as simple as running to the corner store to pick up some with the groceries. And, it can be lost as well. The father says, “Do not forsake wisdom, and she will protect you; love her, and she will watch over you” (4:6). The relationship with wisdom has to be nurtured. It’s not something you get once and then never think about again. Get wisdom. Chase wisdom. Cultivate wisdom. If you do these things, you will be protected and safe. Hold on tight!

The one who has wisdom wears it like fine jewels. Wisdom adorns those who love her with garlands of grace.

There are people in the world who enjoy evil. They feed their minds with it all of the time. They plot, they scheme, they rejoice in the failures of others. Don’t have anything to do with people like that. They are toxic. They are poisonous. Don’t even “go there” with them. Stay off of their path for it only leads to destruction. (4:12-18)

Listen and pay attention. (4:20)

Constantly revisit and meditate on words of wisdom. Memorize. (4:21)
Wisdom has an effect on your physical health. (4:22)

Guard your heart. (4:23)

Watch your tongue. (4:24)

Keep focused on the path before you, focused on the right things. (4:25)

Be thoughtful. Don’t hurry. Choose wisely. (4:26)

Don’t be distracted. Keep walking straight. (4:27)

Dear Father of Wisdom,
Lord, it sounds so simple. “Get wisdom”. As if it is readily available. I believe that is true. Lord, I’m asking for wisdom and understanding. Thank You for giving us Your Word. Bring to mind the wisdom You’ve taught before and give me the ears to hear it. Continue to place people in my life who are willing to be vulnerable and transparent so that I may avoid pitfalls they themselves have experienced. Thank You for being a Father who gives generally when we ask according to Your will. I know it is Your will we be wise.
Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Please help...I need your input

Our Perfect Day

Forgiveness